One of my favorite parts of summer is how many herbs and fruits there are to play with! Staying cool and hydrated is so important for feeling good - and this recipe has been a life-saver for me. Filled with fruity antioxidants and immune boosting Elderberry Syrup, this summer snack is easy to make, delicious, nourishing, and really fun.
‘Granita’ is a semi-frozen dessert that is Sicilian in origin and traditionally made from sugar, water, and a variety of flavorings. What makes it different from sorbet or italian ice is the smooth crystalline texture you achieve with a little patience and a fork.
Using elderberry syrup as sweetener and fruit as flavoring, you can make a delicious herbal goodie with a unique and satisfying texture that makes you feel a little fancy while cooling down from the inside out.
Strawberry / Elderberry Syrup Granita
- 2 c sliced strawberries or any berry or juicy fruit
- 6 Tbs of our Elderberry Syrup
- 2 Tbs lemon or lime juice
- 4 Tbs water
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
- Pour into a baking dish, and place in the freezer
- After about 1 hr, remove your granita (in-process) from the freezer and use a fork to scrape the frozen edges. Return to the freezer.
- Continue to break up the frozen bits every so often, until it is fully frozen and the mixture is made up of small, fluffy crystals. (If you're short on time, you can do this all once frozen, the texture will just be a bit fluffier if you do it in stages.)
- Return to the freezer one more time.
- Serve alone or with mint or flowers to garnish.
The best part of this recipe is that it allows room for experimentation!
- If strawberries are not your favorite, you can replace them with any other juicy fruit.
- Add more or less Elderberry Syrup to adjust the sweetness.
- Use an ice cream maker instead of the freezer, decrease the added water, and serve it as sorbet!